From Conservative Jewish Roots to Reconstructionist Judaism
Reconstructionist Congregation Beth Israel (RCBI) was established as a Conservative synagogue in 1928 in Maywood, NJ. The temple was housed in a beautiful old Arts & Crafts style building with wooden interiors, originally built as a church.
In 1997, seeking a new path for the congregation, the temple members voted to affiliate with what was then called the Jewish Reconstructionist Federation (now under the auspices of the Reconstructionist Rabbinical College and Jewish Reconstructionist Communities). In 2014, the community decided to sell its building and share a space with Temple Israel and Jewish Community Center in Ridgewood, NJ.